Ghosts are a popular topic this time of year, but are they real?!?
This week, our forum guest speaker will be Steve Barrell, the director of Haunted North Carolina. He will explain how his team investigates claims of the paranormal and what scientific evidence they develop.
RESOURCES FOR DISCUSSION
Biblical Resources: There are several references to ghosts in the Bible
- God Forbids Speaking with the dead in Deuteronomy 18:9-12.
- Saul speaks with the ghost of Samuel in 1 Sam 28:3-19.
- The Disciples were terrified when they saw Jesus walking on water and mistook him for a ghost in Mt 14:23-27 (note that the disciples had already been sent out by Jesus to cast out evil spirits before this time, but a ghost "terrified" them).
- After his resurrection, Jesus appeared to His disciples and had to prove He wasn't a ghost to them in Lk 24:36-43
- Some recent video captures that claim to be evidence of ghosts can be z%seen here. .
- There are many photos of ghosts online. Here's a sample of some of the more credible ones.
- The Committee for Skeptical Inquiry published this argument challenging the seriousness of paranormal research.
- SAPS (the Skeptical Analysis of the Paranormal Society) was started to challenge TAPS (above). One example of how they explain a ghost caught on video is here.
- Many ghost effects on video (including the one at Disney's Haunted Mansion) is done using an effect called "Pepper's Ghost". You can see how its done at this link